You have possibly seen my message on top of an inactive wiki. This means that the website needs people who want to maintain and contribute to the wiki.
I will give you administrator permissions without any formal voting procedures. However, you must follow these steps:
- SIGN IN or CREATE ACCOUNT here. You cannot request adoption anonymously.
- SIGN IN or CREATE ACCOUNT on the wiki you want to adopt. Please choose the same username. This is the most important step! If you do not tell me your account, I cannot help you...
- Please copy-paste this scheme and fill it out with your details:
*'''Url address of wiki''' = http://... *'''Username on wiki''': ... *'''Language level?''' (native, professional user, learner, beginner, ...) - I would like to know this, but this is optional *'''User accounts on other wikis?''' (optional) *'''Motivation?''' (why do you want to adopt? -optional) *'''E-mail address:''' optional * ~~~~
You can replace the scheme with free text if you want, but I would like to have the details in it.
- I will provide an answer on that place where you left your message (my talk page).
- When you don't have an answer in 96 hours, please don't hesitate to send a message to
- Hello. I want to adopt Swahili wiki. Bye! --192.168.0.1 15:33, 1 August 2013 (UTC)
- Dude, pls give admin rights.
- Url address of wiki = http://...
- Username on wiki: RandomDude
- Language level? Learner
- User accounts on other wikis? Yes, on http://...
- Motivation? I would like to contribute and maintain the wiki. I also want to delete spam.
- RandomDude 15:33, 1 August 2013 (UTC)
- I would like to adopt http://... My username is ... Thank you. --RandomDude 15:33, 1 August 2013 (UTC)
Which wiki can I adopt?
- When you see this message on top of the website: "Do you speak this language? Do you want to become administrator here? Click on this link!"
- When the wiki has an active community, you should ask the local "bureaucrats" (super administrators) first. Perhaps you will have to go through democratic elections. To find bureaucrats on a wiki, just type
Special:Listusers/bureaucratand leave a message on their talk pages. Tell them that you want to become an administrator.
- When you are unsure about the wiki activity, you can still contact me.
- You may apply for more than one wiki.
Advice and help
Basically, it will be hard to keep your adopted wiki alive by yourself. Building up a community on your adopted wiki might be your first task. When that is done, try work out a policy (user agreement). Some basic rules make teamwork more easier. Decide what people are allowed to write. This doesn't necessarily mean that you will have to copy the entire English Uncyclopedia policy. English or American humour is not always similar to the humour in your language.
Provide an e-mail address for your wiki, so people can contact you when they don't want to create an account. When people want to sue your wiki, direct them to Canadian laws. The contributor is always responsible for his edit. As an administrator you are just responsible when you ignore the complaint or when you don't want to take actions.
Why do you decide who is going to be administrator?
Before I had become administrator on most of the Uncyclomedia wikis, the adoption procedure lasted too long. Some adoption requests weren't answered at all. In order to reply more quickly on requests, I decided to take responsibility myself. When people want to adopt the wiki, they should have that chance immediately without any unnecessary ado. If you disagree with a specific adoption, feel free to give your opinion. If you feel eligible to follow up adoptions yourself, please tell me.
Note: I am *not* administrator everywhere. We don't have anything like a "steward" permission, because every wiki is a seperate website with a separate userlist.