Talk:Requests for new languages
Catalan a dialect of Spanish? Don't let them find this page in Barcelona or the rest of Cataluña.--Rataube 18:22, 23 May 2006 (EDT)
I would've listed ca: as a dialect of Canadian, eh?, along with Kannada and anything else similarly-named.
Still, this page is confusing to use - it's not easy to read this and determine which projects need to be immediately created and which are being proposed merely in jest. If I've missed something by all means say so :) --Carlb 16:10, 27 August 2006 (EDT)
This page needs to be reworded, primarily for the reason Carl stated.--Bradaphraser 08:44, 7 February 2007 (EST)
- 1 What about Serbian?
- 2 Klingon?
- 3 pig latin
- 4 Ne-
- 5 luxembourgish Version
- 6 Macedonian language on Uncyclopedia
- 7 we want Uncyclopedia Laos language
- 8 beg for Uncyclopedia Cambodian language with
- 9 Brazilian Portuguese Uncyclopedia
- 10 Moldovan
- 11 Frisian Uncyclopedia
- 12 Napolitano
- 13 Is this project dead?
What about Serbian?
Serbian language is not just proposal anymore. Why don't somebody put it on the list of existing languages?
There's a Klingon Wikipedia, so why not a Klingon uncyclopedia? 22.214.171.124 14:20, 21 May 2007 (UTC)
- Didn't Wikipédia lock that one so no one could edit it? --126.96.36.199 11:38, 22 May 2007 (UTC)
make a pig latin verson --188.8.131.52 23:11, 4 June 2007
- There's a real Latin version (spelchek™ says 'a real satin version') but I don't think they own any pigs. --184.108.40.206 01:15, 5 June 2007 (UTC)
Pig latin may be possible to generate by taking the original English text and running it through some sort of computer programme. So possible, but would get repetitive rather soon? --Carlb 16:38, 25 June 2007 (UTC)
There are way too many wikis like this. Be more creative, folks. Smiddle 12:16, 25 June 2007 (UTC)
- One wiki spelling "Necyklopédia", one wiki spelling "Neciklopedio", one wiki spelling "Necyklopedie", and three wikis with the exact spelling "Neciklopedija". Smiddle 12:22, 25 June 2007 (UTC)
I'm not sure what to make of the Bosnian one. Looks like the whole thing was just a bunch of bs: ? Create a wiki, post one word (test), disappear and leave the project basically empty. Seems rather pointless... --Carlb 16:38, 25 June 2007 (UTC)
Thanks for the Installation of the luxembourgish Version. But we have any Problems. There are no Administrators. What can i do? thx --BlanneJang 17:09, 13 October 2007 (UTC)
- You could try contacting one of the bureaucrats? If present, they're usually the ones to add new sysops; on some of the more active wikis, there may be also some sort of admin election process. --220.127.116.11 21:38, 13 October 2007 (UTC)
Macedonian language on Uncyclopedia
Hey guys what's up? I would really appreciate if there is a Macedonian language on this page, 'cuz, honestly - there aren't many Macedonians who can understand English that well, and it would be nice if the rest of the world shares the jokes with us, thanks for reading this!
- Space has been allocated for an eventual http://mk.uncyclopedia.info wiki, but any translations would need to be done by someone who speaks Macedonian. I can't do that as I only speak Canadian, eh? --Carlb 19:34, 14 December 2007 (UTC)
we want Uncyclopedia Laos language
I want Uncyclopedia Laos language make me please please --donuttowanoon 8:22, 1 June 2008 (ICT)
beg for Uncyclopedia Cambodian language with
I begs for Uncyclopedia Cambodian language such with as with Laos language with--donuttowanoon 12:55, 1 June 2008 (ICT)
Brazilian Portuguese Uncyclopedia
Want a Uncyclopedia in Brazilian Portuguese. The Desciclopédia is in Portuguese Portuguese.
- What? The Desciclopédia is in general portuguese language, and the brazilian language have very great participation. UltraJohnny 00h29min de 4 de Dezembro de 2008 (BRST)
Hi, I'm going to start an Uncyclopedia in Moldovan, but I can't find all the info I want. Could someone help me by posting a small tutorial? I have it started at: http://uichipedia.wikia.com/ PS: Is the one starting the wiki an administrator there? I mean: Am I going to be an admin at the Moldovan Uncyclopedia?
I've created a test page for the Frisian (see also West Frisian language) version of Uncyclopedia. I would like to submit the request, however, I can not edit the project page for new language requests. Regards --Mycheameler 20:29, 11 January 2011 (UTC)
Is this project dead?
If not, I need some clarifications. You might have heard Wikia disabled the Monobook skin, and now all Wikia uncyclopedias look like crap and are dramatically broken. A few communities are considering moving away like you did back in 2Ksomething. I'm an admin at the italian one, Nonciclopedia, and we're wondering...
- Can you really host a copy of our wiki for free?
- It seems like Wikia already bought the best
nonciclopedia.somethingdomains, do you have some we could use for free?
- Can you import full backups of the wiki? We'll provide those by using Wikiteam.
- When you moved you probably lost all user data (edits, join date, logs and such). Have you somehow obtained those data from Wikia? If not, how did you copy with that?
There's probably more than a few uncyclopedias who want to move, it would be great if we could build this thing together. Otherwise we'll resort to some free wiki farm, such as Miraheze.--Wedhro (talk) 12:31, 27 May 2018 (UTC)
- I visited some communities on Wikia and realized the problem. Only now did I know the seriousness of this problem. I'll let our webmaster know and let you know. Rhubella Marie, the rat sockpreppie 3,302 preppiedits 23:17, 27 May 2018 (UTC)
nonciclopedia.orgdomain is available to be pointed elsewhere once you decide to split. Many of the Uncyclopedias never were on Wikia - for instance Brazil, Taiwan and Japan have been hosted here since 2006 and have always been free and non-commercial. A few others are on independent servers all off by themselves - including both the Americans (en.uncyclopedia.co) and the Russians (absurdopedia.net) - after a fork. Korea is independent and never was Wikia. Certainly, it is possible to import full backups - although the images would need to be copied over somehow and there's no way to grab the entire userlist at once. The handling of userlists has been done in different ways - for instance, the Wikitravel/Wikivoyage split had to do this manually as the two sides weren't talking to each other (WT's owners were filing frivolous lawsuits against WV users at one point, so yes there's someone actually worse than Wikia).
- Certainly a split is viable, although you can expect Wikia to run your old wiki in direct competition against your new project in an attempt to sabotage your SEO. They've done this sort of thing to many communities before, http://awa.shoutwiki.com/wiki/Buy_outs should give you a better idea of what you're up against but ultimately the content belongs to the authors, who have every right to leave this cesspool. Carlb (talk) 01:34, 28 May 2018 (UTC)
nonciclopedia.orgdomain is available" Great! I was wondering who the hell bought it and I'm glad it was you! I'll let my community know we can move here, I hope they'll agree because we're so sick and tired of being under Wikia's yoke. In the meanwhile, could you "activate" that URL with a blank Mediawiki installation and give me full administrative rights in order to run some tests? I'd like to present my community with actual infos about the usability of our new home.
- Regarding splits and Wikia's tactics, I suspected they might be like that so thanks for the info because nobody seems to want to talk about this things. In case you want to check our progresses, the full discussion (in Italian) is here, please let me know if it's ok to start right now with a default installation (I'll import some content by myself) so I can give "my people" some answers, they're obviously afraid of change.
- Thanks!--Wedhro (talk) 06:06, 28 May 2018 (UTC)
- The whole Wikia problem has a long history, which goes back to the creation of the first Uncyclopedia
BabbleBabel wikis in 2006. The first few languages were created as Wikia, but we had a number of issues - such as incompatible licences, broken interwiki link tables and a refusal to let us create *.uncyclopedia.org instead of *.wikia.com - which led to most of the more recent additions (Brazil, Japan, Taiwan being the largest) to be created by simply buying domains and servers, downloading the stock MediaWiki code (and a pir8ted copy of CentOS - price $0) to be deployed to a commercial datacentre. I've been hosting these for a dozen years. No Wikia "customisations" wanted or needed, if it needs to look like Wikipedia and Wikipedia is deliberately built out of free software, just install that same software on whatever servers are lying around et voilà. I have enough domains (including (*.uncyclopedia.info) to host as many Uncyclopedias as are willing to move. Unfortunately, Wikia will leave the old ones up just to sabotage your SEO - but if you'd like to cut your losses and move anyway, I'm here at carlb at kingston net and have four servers in a datacentre "hosted offshore on an island in the St. Lawrence River" which would do the job. Carlb (talk) 13:52, 28 May 2018 (UTC)
- The whole Wikia problem has a long history, which goes back to the creation of the first Uncyclopedia
- We don't worry much about Wikia taking over because I plan mantaining both wikis, the old one being still active thanks to the daily dozen of morons who write crap; Wikia shouldn't even notice the difference as long as I rollback vandalisms and such, which is a 10 minutes job. If people want to stay on that broken gulag, godspeed, I'm taking new pages on this side of the mirror anyway since it's CC.
- So should I go on submitting a formal request on Requests for new languages or will you just setup a blank Mediawiki at nonciclopedia.org and give me access, so I can start preparing it? I'm not quite sure how this thing works, thanks for your patience.--Wedhro (talk) 17:31, 28 May 2018 (UTC)
Thanks for the help, Carlb and Wedro, if you are already working the new link I will make adjustments in Desgali and Çciclopédia in interlink exchange. Rhubella Marie, the rat sockpreppie 3,302 preppiedits 00:42, 29 May 2018 (UTC)
- The domain exists with an empty wiki; could you please provide me a link to whatever data I was to import? You will need to register with a username/password at the new wiki; once you've chosen a username there, let me know so that I may give you whatever access you had on the old wiki. -- carlb at kingston.net 14:27, 29 May 2018 (UTC)
- Done! I kept the same username you see here. I'm just a (the only) sysop but I thought I could upload backups and do high-level administrative operations like that by myself. Won't I get access to the database and such? We asked to host us here because on Miraheze we are not in full control, for example we can't load extensions or fix database inconsistencies that will happen when we move profiles, etc. etc. Please let me know how many limits we will have, my community needs to know all caveats in order to chose the better option.
- I'm waiting for my community to give me a final answer, then I'll download the backup. Anyway, altough http://www.nonciclopedia.org correctly points to the new wiki, a simple nonciclopedia.org in the browser still points to Wikia. Can we fix this?
- I'll let my community know as soon as you give us more infos, then a poll with happen to chose if it's better moving here, on Miraheze or somewhere else. Goddamn democracy! Thanks a lot Carlb, and if you'd rather communicate by email (the one you gave me above) let me know! My own is wedhro at gmail and you know the rest.--Wedhro (talk) 15:55, 29 May 2018 (UTC)
- Wedro, I believe that being as an adm or bureaucrat, I can export-import some content between the 2 wikis. Certainly Nonciclopedia should have the "Special: Export" and the nonciclopedia.org version has "Special: Import". Maybe you can use it as a test. Rhubella Marie, the rat sockpreppie 3,302 preppiedits 21:35, 29 May 2018 (UTC)
- Thanks but basic export/import tools are not an option because it's only good for articles while I'm going to dowload the whole wiki (more or less) with Wikiteam. But that's not the problem, Carlb already said he will take care of this: we just need to know how much control we will have on the website before chosing, because for example we need a few more extension to better copycat Wikipedia, we need to fix database inconsistencies after moving, create custom namespaces and so on; if we can't do that, Miraheze could be a better option, and my community needs to know before chosing.--Wedhro (talk) 05:40, 30 May 2018 (UTC)
- The level of access here is likely comparable to Miraheze, in that the same server is being shared between multiple wikis in the same group. If you want full control, it may make more sense to rent a virtual server from any of a number of commercial providers; while that doesn't give you the whole machine, it gives a "virtual machine" with its own copy of the operating system and its own IP address - so that you could install whatever you want. Not free, but cheaper than an entire dedicated server - and if your traffic increases, you could replace it with something else later. Conversely, installing the wiki here would be free (as it's just using the same server that's already hosting other Uncyclopedias) but wouldn't provide you the means to take full control of the machine - as whatever you do may affect other sites on the same server. It would, however, be possible for me to install additional extensions or some other version of the software if you need them. Carlb (talk) 15:32, 30 May 2018 (UTC)
- Thanks, that's what we presumed. We're still debating what's better for us byt we'll probably use Miraheze because it's closer and it's always up to date, while you're probably doing all the work by yourself here and of course you're human. Kudos, whatever this word means
- So my next request will probably be to redirect nonciclopedia.org to the Miraheze website and delete the local installation. I'll let you know as soon as my community decides. Thanks again, you're the hero we don't deserve but we most definitely need.--Wedhro (talk) 18:46, 30 May 2018 (UTC)
- Oh, yes, I was very negligent in proposing that I could export / import pages into a function that a bot would do without any problems. Thing was done par excellence in Desgalipedia for almost nine years of Wikia's independence. About your main question about database control, I can not remember when Uncyclopedia and Absurdopedia when they left Wikia for a standalone server also that option to rent a server of their own. Rhubella Marie, the rat sockpreppie 3,302 preppiedits 04:31, 31 May 2018 (UTC)
Well, I understand your position and I can not say that we tried to offer you good conditions for the installation of Nonciclopedia here, since the application reached the third favorable vote and was approved. But as I can not because of obligation to be neutral person in the process of independence of you, it would be possible to warn that at the time of leaving Wikia for any site that is decided, I believe that one of the free mediawiki activities to use would be the creation of interlinks to other uncys that Wikia never allowed to do. In that case, I would ask about Nonci's ability to link articles to versions of newer wikis created after Wikia did not allow this feature. My wiki, for example, has a lot of articles with Nonci's interlink and I wish they could do the same. Thank you very much if my request is accepted. Rhubella Marie, the rat sockpreppie 3,302 preppiedits 04:25, 31 May 2018 (UTC)
- (why is your talk page protected?) I'm not quite sure what you mean but I can tell you my community will probably be happy about integrating with the "free uncyc" family of wikis by interlinking to non-Wikia uncyc including yours. I just don't know the caveats because I never learned how interlinks and other interwiki activities work, so I can't tell you for sure if on Miraheze that will be possible. But I hope so.--Wedhro (talk) 08:40, 31 May 2018 (UTC)
- (Excuse me, there have been vandal attacks in the last few months and I've put up protection for IPs) Oh, fine tranks! I do not think it exists on Wikia or they do not release it but there is a page like several special MediaWiki pages so bureaucrats can change some wiki settings. Rhubella Marie, the rat sockpreppie 3,302 preppiedits 12:28, 31 May 2018 (UTC)